Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Robert Rauschenberg: Cardbird...Recycled Art

Robert RAUSCHENBERG, Cardbird II

I decided that my recycled project five art piece with recycled cardboard.  
After doing a project for my museum methods class I learned about a series of work by artist
Robert Rauschenberg did in the early seventies.  I always have old cardboard boxes around. I am planning on doing a cardboard sculptures based on Rauschenberg's  pieces. I find the simplicity of the object the everyday quality of the material. Also there fact that cardboard is not an archival material is of entrance. 

When Rauschenberg first displayed this work there was not positive feedback. Critics taught that the work was mundane, and found that cardboard was just too normal and everyday to be really interesting. Also critics found it had to spend 25,000 on a piece that would not be sustainable.

The way that Rauschenberg found his cardboard, from garbage dumps, streets, and personal boxes that he used when he had moved. Originally these works were nailed into the walls. 

Presented like altarpieces, Rauschenberg\'s boxes are rumored to be valued in the millions.




No comments:

Post a Comment